So on Saturday we went to the only Mosque in Dubai that non-muslims are allowed to enter. We had a lesson on Islam and the five pillars that their religion is based on. Islam means submission to the will of allah. The followers of Islam are called muslims.
The 5 pillars of Islam:
- Shahadah – the testimony of faith
- Salat – praying 5 times a day facing the holy kaaba in Mecca
- Sawn – fasting during Ramadan from sunrise to sunset
- Zakat – giving a fixed proportion of income for welfare of community
- Hajj – the pilgramage to Mecca in the 12th month. Muslims are required to do this at least once in their lifetime if they have the health and the means to do it. There are also the umra, which is a shorter pilgramage that can be done any time of the year.
All in all it was an interesting experience and gave us more understanding of Dubai and its local people…